2021 LEGISLATIVE AGENDA
Equality Illinois is working to advance the following legislative initiative during the 2021 session of the Illinois General Assembly.
Keeping Youth Safe and Healthy Act
The Keeping Youth Safe and Healthy Act would require all public schools to provide age appropriate, inclusive, and comprehensive personal health and safety education in grades K-5 and age-appropriate, inclusive, and comprehensive sexual health education in grades 6-12. This information is essential for students to make informed decisions about their personal health and safety and to lead healthy and safe lives.
Take action with our partner Planned Parenthood Illinois Action:
Email Your State Legislator to support the Keeping Youth Safe and Healthy Act (weareplannedparenthoodaction.org)
Keeping Youth Safe and Healthy Act Fact Sheet
Birth certificate modernization
Permits self-attestation in order to correct the gender marker on a birth certificate (removing the requirement for a healthcare provider’s note).
Repeals the HIV criminalization law. An initiative of the Illinois HIV Action Alliance. Learn more by clicking HERE.
Demographic data collection
Requires ten state agencies to expand demographic data collection (including sexual orientation and gender identity) on participants in state programs. An initiative of a task force that includes Howard Brown Health, AIDS Foundation Chicago, Pride Action Tank, SAGE, Center on Halsted, Northwestern University's Evaluation, Data Integration, and Technical Assistance Program, and Equality Illinois
Learn more about the importance of inclusive data collection by clicking HERE and HERE.
Modernizing name change law for political candidates
Allows trans folks to run for elected office without having to publish their former legal names on petitions and on the ballot.
Allowing gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms
HB 3195 and SB 457
Allows public and private entities to implement gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms if they want. Sets conditions. An initiative of Justin Sia and Equality Illinois.
HB 3195 SB 457 Gender Inclusive Restrooms Fact Sheet
Charting inclusive corporate board leadership
Requires corporations in Illinois to annually report out on the data for the self-identified sexual orientation and gender identity of the members of their boards of directors.
Standardizing name changes on marriage certificates
Creates a uniform standard that county clerks must adhere to for name changes on marriage certificates. An initiative of Equality Illinois and Chicago House and Social Service Agency.
Below are measures that are not Equality Illinois bills, but we support.
HB 1290 would restore state veterans benefits to individuals who received other than honorable or general discharges because of their LGBTQ+ status. We thank Rep. Joyce Mason for her leadership. The bill passed the Illinois House 104-7. Sen. Tom Cullerton is the sponsor in the Illinois Senate.
HB 2542 would bring our state’s overly-restrictive name change law in line with the majority of other states and help transgender and gender-expansive individuals and survivors of human trafficking to live safer and more authentic lives by removing the ten-year waiting period and the lifetime ban. The bill is led by trans advocates, the ACLU of Illinois, Chicago House and Social Service Agency, the Transformative Justice Law Project, and the Chicago Bar Foundation. We thank Rep. Kelly Cassidy for her leadership. The bill passed the Illinois House 85-27. Sen. Robert Peters is sponsoring the bill in the Illinois Senate.
HB 3709 updates the state’s existing infertility insurance law to be inclusive of LGBTQ+ families and single parents and reduce the wait time for women over 35. The bill passed the Illinois House 68-43. We thank Rep. Margaret Croke for her leadership. In the Senate, the bill is sponsored by Sen. Laura Fine.
SB 139 passed the Illinois Senate with a bipartisan vote of 44-13. This legislation establishes a process for individuals to correct the gendered language on their marriage certificates. We thank Sen. Feigenholtz for her leadership. In the Illinois House, the bill will be championed by Rep. Ann Williams.
2019 LEGISLATIVE AGENDA
The 2019 Equality Illinois Legislative Agenda is lead by HB 246 the Inclusive Curriculum Bill, an initiative of Equality Illinois, Illinois Safe School Alliance, and the Legacy project. The bill would ensure the inclusion of significant historical events and contributions by LGBTQ+ people in the US history curriculum taught in Illinois public schools. The initiative passed the IL House 60-42 in March.
HB 246 Fact Sheet.
General assembly page HB 246
To ask your state senator to support the bill, click HERE
Other measures backed by Equality Illinois during the current legislative session include:
• SB 1319 and HB 2314 are bills to "Advance Equity for LGBTQ+ Elders" and would highlight LGBTQ+ older adults and people living with HIV as target populations for Older Americans Act programming.
SB 1319 and HB 2314 fact sheet
General assembly page SB 1319 and HB2314
• SB 1378 would include LGBTQ+ people in the state's jury service non-discrimination protections. SB 1378 passed the Senate 54-00 in March.
SB 1378 fact sheet
General assembly page SB 1378
• SB 556 and HB 3589 would designate as gender neutral those single-occupancy restrooms in places of public accommodations and in public buildings.
SB 556 fact sheet
General assembly page SB 556 and HB 3589
Below are measures that are not Equality Illinois bills, but we support them.
• HR 86 - Condemns the Trump Administration's anti-LGBTQ+ policies
General assembly page HR 86
• HB 252 - Strengthens Illinois Humans Rights Act's workforce non-discrimination provision.
General assembly page HB 252
• HB 2467 and SB 1594 - Repeal of the Parental Notice of Abortion Act.
General assembly page HB 2467 and SB 1594
• HB 2495 and SB 1942 - Reproductive Healthcare Act.
General Assembly page HB 2495 and SB 1942
• HB 182 - Isolated Confinement Restriction Act.
General Assembly page HB 182
• HB 2101, HB 2547, and SB 1485 - Racial Impact Note Act.
General Assembly page HB 2101, HB 2547, and SB 1485
• HB 2691 - Retaining Illinois Students and Equity (RISE) Act.
General Assembly page HB 2691
• HB 2665 - Allows minors to consent to preventive care for sexually transmitted diseases.
General Assembly page HB 2665
• HB 3534 - Requires the Illinois Secretary of State to provide a non-binary option for gender designations on state ID cards and driver's licenses when SOS procures a new digital driver's license and identification card issuance and facial recognition system.
General Assembly page HB 3534
• HB 3711 - Requires baby changing stations in most public restrooms.
General Assembly page HB 3711
• SB 1 - Raises the Illinois minimum wage.
General Assembly page SB 1