Equality Illinois (EI) seeks a highly-motivated law student to serve as the 2018 Law Fellow during the summer. With oversight by EI’s Director of Public Policy, the Law Fellow will research and analyze policy issues, develop and recommend policy solutions, prepare legal memoranda, and draft legislative language. The Law Fellow may also be asked to participate in EI outreach events throughout the summer, including Pride Month activities in June and the Illinois State Fair in Springfield in August.
• Current law school student
• Committed to LGBTQ equality and inclusion and to advancing Equality Illinois’ values and mission
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Basic computer processing skills including Microsoft Office and Excel
• Self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize, and meet deadlines
• Willing to work beyond 9-5 as needed
• Position is based at EI’s office in Chicago’s Loop
• Direct supervision will be provided by EI’s Director of Public Policy
• No compensation from Equality Illinois but your law school may offer compensation for the fellowship
• The start date for this fellowship is negotiable for late May or early June. In your letter of interest, please indicate when you would be available to begin the fellowship, if selected.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and legal writing sample or policy brief to Mike Ziri, Director of Public Policy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: 2018 Equality Illinois Law Fellow.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled.
Equality Illinois is an equal opportunity organization. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and transgender people are strongly encouraged to apply.