Equality Illinois, the state’s oldest and largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy organization, seeks a full-time Director of Education and Outreach.
The Director of Education and Outreach will build long-term community outreach and educational infrastructure to ensure our state’s continued leadership in promoting and advancing equality and justice for all members of the LGBT community. The Director of Education and Outreach will report to the Chief Executive Officer and guide organizational direction as a member of the senior management team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Build mutually beneficial partnerships with LGBTQ leaders and stakeholder & ally groups across the state.
• Designing and implementing a statewide effort to solicit input and test early drafts of our next multi-year strategic plan
• Build partnerships with LGBTQ stakeholder & ally groups who historically have not had strong ties to leadership in the LGBTQ advocacy community (e.g. faith based groups, communities of color)
• Coordinate our non-fundraising events including Pride activities, our twice annual Equality Conference, our presence at the Illinois State Fair, etc.
• Conduct trainings with state agencies, corporations, and non-profits on issues related to the LGBTQ community (including trainings on creating LGBTQ friendly work spaces)
• Work closely with the Director of Public Policy to advance the movement’s legislative advocacy and electoral priorities, to register and educate voters, and to develop and execute educational and organizing campaigns designed to support discrete legislative and policy initiatives (and support partner organizations in doing the same, as their legal status allows);
• Represent Equality Illinois and its mission in the community and the media;
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
As a note, this year we will be developing and adopting a new multi-year strategic plan to go into effect July 1, 2017. The role will evolve to meet the needs of that plan and could include additional responsibilities, the addition of management responsibilities, the splitting off of the education from the outreach functions, or any number of changes. The new Director of Education and Outreach will play a leadership role in designing the future of Equality Illinois’ education and outreach function and be comfortable with the evolution of the role consistent with a new strategy
• Commitment to justice and equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons;
• A demonstrated record of achieving impact by working across individual and institutional lines of difference
• Ability to synthesize policy and political information for different audiences;
• Demonstrated experience with LGBT issues is preferred; commitment and desire to work in a multi-cultural environment where diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, physical ability, family status and other characteristics is an important and practiced value is essential;
• Experience working in an impact oriented environment
• Ability to communicate well orally and in writing;
• Leadership qualities and the ability to mobilize others to action;
• Ability to work with and build a team;
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends, and ability to travel within the state as required;
• Must be able to work independently with direction;
• Strong attention to detail and highly organized;
• Experience in teaching and learning highly preferred
• College degree highly preferred
Preferred Additional Skills
• Background using membership management database (NGPVan, every Action).
• Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish (and/or other languages).
• Capabilities using social media including Facebook, Twitter and WordPress-based website to connect with our various audiences.
• Salary (exempt)
• Retirement plan with generous employer contributions
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance (including same-sex spousal coverage)
• Life insurance
• Paid vacation, accrued at the rate of two weeks per year in the first year
• Paid holidays
• Transit benefits
• Other benefits
• Applications will be considered on a rolling basis but priority will be given to candidates who apply by Friday, August 19, 2016
• Interviews will be held by invitation only. No telephone inquiries, please.
Send cover letter and resume BY EMAIL ONLY to: Director_Outreach@eqil.org
People of color, women, and transgender people strongly encouraged to apply.