Equality Illinois builds a better Illinois by advancing equal treatment and social justice through education, advocacy and protection of the rights of the LGBT community. We strive for a fair and unified Illinois where everyone is treated equally with dignity and respect and where all people live authentically regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Equality Illinois is one of the Midwest’s largest organizations advocating for full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. Equality Illinois is a 501(c)(4) organization, which also has an affiliated 501(c)(3) organization, Equality Illinois Institute, and an affiliated political action committee, Equality Illinois PAC. The combined budget for Equality Illinois, Equality Illinois Institute, and Equality Illinois PAC is about $1.7 million. The organization currently has 8 staff members and a team of interns.
We are looking for a creative, e-savvy individual with a sharp eye for design & style and is a good writer. The intern in this role will work on extremely fun yet highly professional integrated social, event, and email marketing campaigns. We are committed to providing mentorship to help this intern grow their professional experience, further develop their digital skill set, and expand their network to support future goals. We are looking to put this level of investment into a motivated, dedicated person that is passionate about our cause. If all this sounds like you, then please apply now!
- Firmly commit approximately 10 hours per week to EI for the internship.
• Design creative materials using graphic design software and other interesting content to engage followers and drive community-building via social media.
• Write, proofread and copy edit creative materials, and schedule delivery of emails, social posts, blog posts, etc.
• Help manage marketing campaigns across email, website, & social channels to support event attendance, donation drives, policy initiatives and overall awareness.
• Basic website management (event calendar, minor edits, update brand imagery, etc.).
- Passionate about organization’s mission and creating content around it.
• Interest in social justice and knowledge of LGBT equality issues.
• Strong experience with graphic design programs.
• Firm grasp of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.).
• Experience with HTML, WordPress, WORD, and Hoot Suite a major plus.
• Experience with creative writing, blogging, etc. also a plus.
Areas you will learn and grow your experience:
- Digital marketing strategy for professional, organized campaigns.
• Designing original material (i.e. flyers, album covers, & other creative content).
• Non-Profit Fundraising.
• Social Media Marketing.
• Email Marketing.
• Event Marketing.
• Copy Writing & Blogging.
• Hands-on experience with various digital marketing tools.
Internship will be based at Equality Illinois’ main office, located at 17 North State Street, Chicago, with some off-site work to be done.
Hours will vary depending on student’s class schedule and availability but dependability is a must.
If interested, please provide below info to apply:
- Resume and a short cover letter outlining your strengths as a candidate and areas in which you are most eager to learn.
• Number of hours you can firmly commit to each week.
• Examples of any graphic design work and writing.
• Any social media work or otherwise you have created (any social media account, blog, marketing campaigns you have worked on, etc.)
• Your social media inspirations and five links to any accounts that you admire or influence your style.
The opportunity to take a leadership role on a project is possible depending on experience and hours of availability. Training and supervision will be provided. Dress code is business casual. Internships are not paid.
El/CTA-accessible—our office is located downtown in the Loop (17 N. State St., Suite 1020) and is easily accessible by a variety of transit and bus lines.