Marriage Beyond Illinois

Will my marriage be recognized by the federal government?
Yes. Under the federal Defense of Marriage Act (“DOMA”), signed into law in 1996, the federal government did not recognize marriages of same-sex couples. The U.S. Supreme Court overturned Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act in June 2013, allowing the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages.

Can I sponsor my same-sex spouse for immigration purposes?
Yes. Because same-sex marriage is now recognized under current federal law, a United States citizen who enters into a marriage with a spouse of the same sex who is not a United States resident may sponsor his or her spouse for immigration into the country.

If I die, will my same-sex spouse be entitled to receive Social Security survivor benefits?
Yes. Under federal law, your surviving spouse will be treated just like a spouse in a different-sex marriage.