If you believe you are a victim of gender identity-motivated discrimination in housing or employment, the Illinois Department of Human Rights can assist you in filing a claim. For most cases, a claim must be filed within 180 days of the alleged incident; a full year is allowed for housing cases.

You will need to provide current contact information for yourself, the organization/person alleged to have discriminated against you, and any witnesses. You must also provide the date of the most recent incident and any supporting documents.

To learn more about the requirements of the Illinois Human Rights Act or to file an employment discrimination complaint, visit the Illinois Department of Human Rights website (En Español).

If you are the victim of a hate crime, call 911 or your local police department. Once a police report has been filed, your local officials are required by law to report the incident to the Illinois State Police for investigation.

In Chicago, after you call the police at 911, you can contact the city’s Commission on Human Relations to accompany victims to court hearings, visit hate crime victims, and provide referrals for important support services.

Know Your Rights Transgender Cover“Know Your Rights” Pamphlet: Transgender Issues

Much of this information is summarized in the Equality Illinois “Know Your Rights” pamphlet. You can make your own 3-fold pamphlets for personal use or multiple copies for your organization. You can see and download it HERE.